CALL 210-556-1743

Menu



2003 Aug 31

WigJig Jewelry Tools Presents our Jewelry Making Newsletter for August 31, 2003

We are continuing to improve our newsletter, so please feel free to provide feedback at info@wigjig.com.  

JEWELRY MAKING SUPPLIES ON SALE:

We update the items we have "On Sale" with every newsletter.  A small sample of the products we currently have for sale at a discount are shown below.  Please click on any of the text below the pictures to view our entire list of sale items.  Quantities are limited for these items so please shop early.  This sale will be effective from August 31st through September 12th, 2003. 

 

FREE JEWELRY MAKING DESIGN:

With every newsletter we provide a free design from WigJig University to spur the creative juices.  This newsletter's free design is the design for the Lock Back Earrings shown at right. These one-piece earrings are made from 20G 1/2 hard Sterling Silver or Gold-Filled wire with  beads. Instructions for making these Lock Back Earrings using our WigJig jewelry tools, beads and jewelry wire can be found by selecting here.  These earrings are great for really active people who tend to lose regular earrings. 

Lock Back Earrings made out of jewelry wire, beads and jewelry making supplies using WigJig jewelry tools.  Lock Back Earrings made on WigJig jewelry tools using jewelry wire, beads and jewelry making supplies.

Lock Back Earrings made using WigJig jewelry tools

 

Jewelry Making Tip of the week:

This week I received a question about nickel in jewelry wire.  Many people are allergic to nickel and need jewelry that is free of nickel.  I did not have a good response to this question so I had to do some research.  Here is what I found:

Some silver wire is made as an alloy that does include nickel.  The nickel helps to harden the wire.  The way to avoid nickel in silver jewelry is to purchase either Fine Silver or Sterling Silver.  Sterling Silver is also called 925 silver and frequently has 925 stamped on it.  Sterling Silver is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.  Fine Silver is 99.9% silver with only traces of impurities.  Both Sterling Silver and File Silver are nickel free and should not cause allergies due to nickel content.

Gold is almost never used in jewelry in its pure form.  Pure gold (24K) is too soft to be used for jewelry and is therefore alloyed with other metals to add color and hardness.  18K gold is 75% pure gold (18K/24K=.75) with the remaining 25% being made up of other metals.  18K Yellow Gold is made up of 75% gold, 15% silver and 10% copper.  18K White Gold is sometimes made of 75% gold and 25% palladium.  White Gold can also be as an alloy of gold, copper, nickel and zinc.  For this reason, if you are allergic to nickel you should avoid White Gold. 

14K gold is 58 1/3% gold (14/24=.5833).  14K Yellow Gold is made of 58% gold, 25% silver and 17% copper.  14K Rose Gold contains 58% gold, 32% copper and 10% silver.  14K White Gold contains 58% gold and 42% palladium. 

Select here for a web page with good information about gold and silver.

 

 

 

 All content on this web site including jewelry and wire designs are copyrighted by WigJigWigJig is a registered trademark.  Last modified: April 20, 2010

 



Privacy Policy • All WigJigs and Accessories are patented or patent-pending • All rights reserved ©2018